This is my idea of an ideal weekend lunch during summer. Black rice, which was also known as forbidden rice, has won the hearts of a whole lot of rice eating population because of its nutitional value. This rice is native to China.
According to legend, black rice was thought to be so rare, delicious and nutritious, that it could only be eaten by emperors. While this rice is now being brought to the masses around the world, its nutritional content has still remained high. It provides a satisfying nutty flavor, making it a great addition to a number of different dishes.
It usually takes a bit longer to be completely cooked than traditional white or even wild rice. Due to its high fibre content it keeps you feeling full for a longer period of time, making it a favourite for weight watchers. This recipe combines the health benefits of rice, fruits, veggies and healthy oil . I usually make it on saturdays for lunch because everyone is at home and I want to feed then something really healthy.
- 125 gms of black rice
- 1 cucumber cut into bit size pieces
- 1 orange peeled and cut into small pieces
- 1 tomato cut into small cubes
- 5 round red radishes cut into roundels
- 10 plump fresh strawberries cut into 8 pieces
- 2 tbsps of fresh pomegranate rubies
- 2 tbsps of roughly chopped coriander leaves.
For the dressing
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsps of honey
- 1/2 tsp of red chilli flakes or fresh red chilli
- 2 tbsps of extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tso of wasabi paste
- Salt to taste.
- Soak rice in water for two hours after which put it to cook in a sauce pan on a medium flame. Keep stirring it at intervals.
- After 10 mins of cooking , lower the flame, try to squish one grain with your fingers and if it gets squished easily it is ready to be drained and if not, then cook it as long as you feel it needs to be cooked.
- Drain the rice and keep aside.
- Mix the dressing ingredients in a jar and shake vigorously till you get a cloudy composition.
- Now take all the veggies and fruits and combine with the rice in a mixing bowl.
- Just before serving pour the dressing in the bowl and mix well.
- Serve it on a platter.
- I usually serve this with oven fried drumsticks .
- At times, I use more of nuts and seeds if I don’t have many fruits and veggies at home.