One of the major problems that all children face when they stay away from home is food. Some ready to eat Indian snacks we can pack for them will help them to have something homemade. In this series, I begin with a savoury recipe made with semolina(suji or rawa) namely upma which is savoury. You have to add boiling hot water or milk and cover for 5-8 minutes to eat it. It is nutritious and filling but it turns out to be a poorer cousin when compared to the freshly made ones.
2 tbsps per serving per person
- 250 gms of Semolina or suji or rawa
- 2 grated ripe and juicy tomatoes
- A handful of peanuts
- 2 tbsps of thinly sliced curry leaves
- 1 tsp of black mustard seeds,white urad dal and tur dal
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp of hing(asafoetida)
- 3 tbsps of refined oil
- Salt to taste.
- Take a wok, put 1 tsp oil in it and heat it.
- Once hot, add mustard, hing, urad dal, tur dal, curry leaves and fry till there is no water left in the curry leaves. After which transfer it to a bowl.
- Take the same wok and add two tsps of oil. Heat it and then add the grated tomatoes. Fry well till no water content remains. Transfer it to the same bowl.
- Put the wok on the fire and on low flame roast the peanuts till brown on the outside and crisp from inside. Keep it aside.
- Now add the remaining oil to the wok and heat it.
- Add semolina and on low flame fry it well till you get a nutty aroma and the grains turn wheatish in colour. Keep stirring continuously or else it will burn.
- Once done add chilli powder, salt to taste and mix well. Turn off the flame.
- Add the peanuts, tomatoes, fried spices and mix well.
- Let it cool completely before you transfer in a jar.
- To prepare the snack, take two tbsps of the ready upma mix in a small bowl.
- Add boiling water or boiling milk mixed with water and add to the bowl just till the level of upma mix in the bowl.
- Cover it with a tight fitting lid and leave it for five to eight minutes.
- Remove the lid and fluff it with a fork. It is ready to eat.
- You can fry fresh coconut, green chillies and coriander leaves and fry it till there is no water content left and add to the mix.
- This recipe tastes so fresh whenever had and gives a homely feel to our children.
- Older children carry electric kettles and can boil water or milk but it us not safe for little ones.