I know the name of this dish is quite a mouthful and making this is quite a job.But,believe me its worth the pain.Now,I have figured out an easier way to make the dhokaa(Bengal gram squares).
Makes 20 dhokaas
To make Dhokaa
- Chana dal(Bengal gram) -150 gms
- Salt -1/2 tsp
- Green chilli(optional) -1
- Baking soda -1/4 tsp
- Yogurt -2tbsp
- Oil -2 tsp.
1.Soak chana dal in water for 2 hours.Drain and put it in a blender with all the above ingredients.It should neither be coarse nor very smooth.
2.Grease a loaf dish with oil and pour the batter into the dish.Tap the dish to make sure that the batter is spread evenly.
3.Pop it in the microwave on high for 8 minutes.Insert a knife to see whether its done or not.If the knife comes out clean,its done.
4.Leave it to cool.After about an hour or so, turn the dish upside down on a tray.
5.Cut it into squares.
6.Put enough oil to deep fry the dhokaas.
7.Once the oil is hot,fry them in batches till they turn golden in colour.
8. Keep it on a tissue paper.
9.You can have them right away but it tastes better when cooked in a gravy.
To make the gravy we need following ingredients
- Boiled potatoes (medium size) – 7
- Tomato(grated) -1
- Yogurt -2 tbsps
- Ginger paste -1 tsp
- Water -500 ml.
- Dry spices(turmeric powder,coriander powder,cumin powder,chilli powder,garam masala powder)
- For Tadka(1 tsp cumin seed,1/2 tsp hing powder,2 bay leaves,1 red chilli and a small stick of cinnamon)
- A pinch of sugar(optional)
- Salt to taste.
- Take 1 tbsp oil in a wok.When it gets hot,add the tadka spices.
- When the begin to splutter,add the peeled and cut potato cubes. (Cut potato es into similar size as the dhokaa)
- Add 1 tsp turmeric powder,1 tsp coriander powder,1/2 tsp cumin powder,1/2 tsp red chilli powder and fry well with the potatoes.
- Now,add grated tomato and fry.After 5 mins add yogurt and mix everything well.
- Add water and cover and cook for 8 mins on medium heat.
- Add 1 tsp of garam masala powder and a tsp of ghee. Take it off the burner.
Here’s the tricky bit. You can’t put the dhokaas in before otherwise they will soak up all the gravy. Put the wok on the burner and add the dhokaas 15 minutes before serving.Let it come to a boil.Cover and cook for 10 mins.Serve hot with rice or roti.