This sauce comes in handy for many Italian preparations like Pizza spread, pasta , sphagetti and meat balls ,toasted bread pizza style etc. You can freeze half and keep the other half in the fridge to toss into a quick meal.
- Bright red tomatoes -500 gms
- Water -one litre
- Onion(chopped fine) – 2 medium sized
- Garlic(chopped fine) -2tbsp
- Olive oil -2 tbsp
- Extra virgin olive oil -3 tbsps
- Tomato puree – 100 ml
- Tomato ketchup -2 tbsp
- Red chilli flakes – 1 tsp
- Dried oregano – 1 tsp
- Black olives -4
- Green olives -4
- Sugar – 1 tsp
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Fresh basil – 10 leaves
- Take a deep vessel and fill it with water. Let it come to a boil.
- Take the tomatoes , remove the eyes , make a cross on the other end and slowly put them one by one into the boiling water.
- Watch them boil till the skin of tomatoes start to peel off. This should not take more than 5 minutes. Turn off the flame and take out the tomatoes.
- When its easy to handle, pull off the skin and put it in a food processor or chop it finely.
- Take olive oil in a deep pan and add the onions and garlic to it. Turn the flame on and sautee for 5 minutes.
- Now add the tomatoes and stir. Add red chilli flakes, dried oregano, black and green olives (cut into thin rings) ,sugar ,salt ,tomato puree ,tomato ketchup and hand torn fresh basil leaves. Let everything come together and let it boil till it reaches a spread-like consistency. Add extra virgin olive oil and mix.
- Take the pan off the fire and let it cool. Do not cover it.
- Store this in an air-tight container and keep it in the fridge.