This dessert is very unique and very tasty but, there are few important tips to be followed to get desired results.
1 cup yellow split moong dal (dry roasted and soaked for an hour)
apinch of salt
2 tbsps Maida(refined flour)
2 tbsps rice flour
4 tbsps milk or as required
green cardamom powder
oil for deep frying.
To serve : Molten date palm sugar OR maple syrup.
For coconut filling go to
- Take dal in a wok and dry roast it, stirring it continuously, till you get a nutty aroma and light brownish colour.
- Take it off the flame and wash it under running water and then soak it in 2 cups of water for two hours.
- Transfer the dal and the water its been soaking in, to the pressure cooker and add a pinch of salt.
- Cook it till one whistle and put off the flame. Let it rest till the steam dissipates.
- Take this out on a plate and mash well.
- Add all the ingredients except oil and knead it well.
- Make balls and if it breaks then add a little of rice flour and refined flour.
- Then take a ball in your palm and spread it, patting it and now put the sweet coconut filling and seal it from all sides.
- Take oil in a wok and once medium hot, fry the croquettes till golden brown.
- Take out on a kitchen towel and serve hot and crisp.
- The ideal accompaniment is molten date palm sugar (jhola gur).
- Maple syrup goes very well as an accompaniment too.