Today’s recipe is about the power of a water based drink. I have noticed the difference it makes, after including it as a part of my daily routine. I am not a nutritional expert but when it is the question of my family’s well-being, I like to incorporate natural things to keep them healthy. Here’s the recipe of a water based drink that can be made and stored for two days in individual bottles or a large jug in the fridge. I have used three natural ingredients namely ginger, turmeric and lemon.
Ginger is known to boost bone health and relieve joint pain. It has a number of unique organic compounds, which have actually been named gingerols, and these are powerful anti-inflammatory compounds. These gingerols have been directly associated with improvements in knee inflammation and associated pain, as well as suppressing the inflammatory compounds at the source before they can begin to affect the body. Ginger represents both a preventative measure and a treatment for inflammation and its associated pain.
The amazing health benefits of turmeric include its ability to reduce inflammation,heal wounds, improve skin health, protect cognitive abilities, and ease menstrual difficulties. Turmeric also helps eliminate depression, alleviate pain, slow the aging process, protect the digestive tract, and prevent cancer.
Lemon enjoys a global eminence, thanks to its incredible health benefits. This inexpensive and easily available sweet-tart fruit has high amount of Vitamin C that helps in boosting the immune system. Thus, we can keep several illnesses at a bay by drinking one glass of lemon water each day.
Servings are subject to your requirements.
1. Wash two inch size of fresh ginger, two inch size of fresh raw turmeric. Wash and take half a lemon. Sometimes I use half of a sweet orange to impart its natural sweetness to the otherwise pungent water. Cut each into thin roundels.
2. Boil a litre of water and when it comes to a boil, simmer and then add all of the above ingredients. Let it boil for a minute and then put off the flame. Cover and let it rest for half an hour.
3. Drain and store it in bottles. Your drink is ready but add honey when you give it to your children or old people. The pungency of ginger and turmeric can irritate their throats.
4. If you are allergic to citrus fruits, you can omit lemon or orange and just make it with ginger and turmeric.
5. This can be had either warm or cold. But in case of a bad cold, have it piping hot.
6. To store fresh ginger and turmeric, wash them thoroughly, cut them into very thin roundels and keep it out in the sun to dry.
7. On a bright sunny day, it dries up very fast. Store in an air-tight container in the fridge and make the drink whenever you want to.
8. To replace fresh turmeric, half a teaspoon of turmeric powder for a litre of water can be used.
9. For a clearer complexion and glowing skin, have this drink for a week and watch the difference.
10. Keeps bad body odour and bad breath at bay and keeps you smelling fresh and vibrant.
Note: Turmeric stains can be avoided by wearing gloves while cutting them. The bottles and jug can also acquire a yellowish tinge if used regularly to store this drink.