This is a pure Maharashtrian delight, known for its vibrant colour, creamy texture and its amazing taste. This is usually made with Alphonso mangoes which is summer’s bounty in Maharashtra. People travel all the way to Pune to taste this drink. The name Mastani is coined to remember Peshwa Baji Rao’s beautiful second wife, Mastani.
- 4 good quality ripe alphonso mangoes
- 250 ml of saffron infused milk
- 100 ml of fresh cream
- 4 scoops of good quality mango ice cream
- Sugar to taste
- Finely chopped dry fruits and tutti frutti
- Peel the mangoes, chop them into chunks and put in the blender.
- Add milk and cream and blend well to get a creamy texture.
- Add mango ice-cream and sugar( if required).
- Blend well.
- Keep it in the fridge to cool for at least an hour.
- To serve, take tall glasses and put two scoops of mango ice-cream in the glass.
- Pour the blended mango over it and decorate with cut dry fruits.
- This is a drink but is usually eaten with a spoon.