This chicken recipe is a marriage of homemade tangy tomato paste and naturally sweet coconut milk. Today I have two recipes to share, namely a very essential paste made with tomatoes and garlic which sits in my fridge and freezer yearlong and a chicken recipe made by using the paste. It is my request to people who do not like coconut, to try this recipe at least once, to believe it.
To make Tomato Paste
I make a batch with a kilo of ripe red juicy tomatoes roughly chopped, 100 gms of peeled fresh garlic cloves, 2 tsp of kashmiri red chilli powder, 1/2 tsp of salt and 4 tbsps of extra virgin olive oil. Put everything in a blender and blend (except olive oil). You can adjust the measurements according to your requirement.
- Put a deep non-stick pan( with a lid) on the stove and add olive oil and the blended paste into it. Cover it with the lid and put the flame on high. After the first boil, simmer the flame and let it cook on its own. Remember to stir it occasionally and then cover and cook till the paste comes to a thick saucy consistency and oil starts floating on top. Remove the cover and let it cool. After which transfer more than half of it to a large freezer container and the remaining in a comparatively small container to go in the fridge. This paste can be used to grill paneer, fish fillets, tofu and spread it on tortillas to make wraps or on bread to make sandwiches. Today, I have used this paste to make my family’s favourite chicken recipe.
- 1 kg chicken
- 2 large onion thinly sliced
- 1 cup of tomato paste
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- 2 tbsps of tender curry leaves sliced into thin Strips
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 1 cinnamon stick and two bay leaves
- Salt to taste
- Take chicken in a pan and marinate it with powdered spices.
- Keep it aside and put a pan on the fire with 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil.
- Once hot add the cinnamon stick and bay leaves then add the curry leaves and sliced onions.
- Fry till the onion becomes translucent.
- Now, add chicken and fry well.
- After 5 to 8 minutes of frying, add the homemade tomato past, salt and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and stir and mix well.
- Let it come to a boil. Simmer the flame, cover the pan and let it cook for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, remove the lid and put the flame on high.
- Fry till oil leaves the sides of the pan.
- Serve it in the pan itself because you might end up trying to get hold of whatever is left in the pan. It is so good!