Chicken liver is the store-house of vitamins, minerals, iron, magnesium and phosphorus but it is very high in cholesterol. In olden days, doctors advised patients with anemia and vitamin B 12 deficiency, to include liver in their diet everyday. It is good to have liver once in a while even for people who have high cholesterol. This particular recipe is inspired by Mediterranean cuisine. It is very easy to make and the best part is, all preparations can be made beforehand and can be sauteed and assembled just before serving.
- 500 gms of chicken liver
- 4 red onions sliced thinly
- 200 gms of cherry tomatoes cut into two
- 1 tbsp of garlic, ginger and green chilli paste (combined together)
- 1/2 a cup of finely chopped coriander leaves
- Juice of 1/4 of a lemon
- 3 tbsps of Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Lettuce (any type).
- Wash and cut the liver into two and keep in a bowl.
- Combine 1 tbsp olive oil, garlic-ginger-green chilli paste, pepper powder,coriander leaves and salt to taste in a small bowl.
- Mix well and pour into the liver and coat very well and leave it to marinate for half an hour. You can marinate for longer.
- Take remaining olive oil in a shallow non-stick pan and add the sliced onions in hot oil. Add a pinch of salt and stir and fry till the onions turn nice and brown. Take them out and keep aside .
- In the same pan add the marinated liver pieces and cover and cook on high for 2 minutes on one side.
- Flip and cook for 2 more minutes and check whether it is done or not.
- If it is pink in colour when cut, continue cooking for a while or else add the cherry tomatoes and freshly squeezed lemon juice and turn off the gas.
- Serve on a bed of crunchy Lettuce torn into small pieces topped with caramelised onions.