This is an ultimate chicken dish and whether you make it for a party or picnics or get together’s, people will definitely ask for the recipe. There are many ingredients and the recipe involves many steps but, the end result is mind blowing. One thing to remember is that these types of recipes are not cooked everyday and its a pain worth taken , once in a while. I make all the pastes and store it in the freezer. On the day I want to cook it I can make it without any hassle.
- 1 kg of chicken legs and thighs mixed( on the bone) Any cut of chicken can be used for this preparation but, I pefer cooking with similar pieces to ensure uniformity.
- For the marinade: 200 gms of thick yogurt, 1tbsp of ginger – garlic and green chilly paste,1/2 tsp of garam masala powder, 1 tbsp of kasoori methi powder(dried Fenugreek leaves)and salt to taste
- For the first paste: 2 large onions, 4 large tomatoes, 8 to 10 cloves of garlic, Thumb sized ginger
- For the second paste: 2 tbsps of poppy seeds, 10 cashews, 4 dried red chillies deseeded
- Dry masalas: 1 tbsp coriander powder, 1/2 tbsp green cardamom powder, 1/2 tsp red chilli powder, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder and 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 4 tbsps of tomato puree
- 2 tbsps of tomato ketchup
- 2 tbsps of heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp of kasoori methi Powdered
- Salt to taste
- Water as required
- 2 tbsps oil
- 2 tbsps butter.
- Soak the ingredients of the second paste in a bowl of water for at least two hours.
- Wash the chicken and prick it with a fork on all sides.
- Mix the marinade in bowl and rub it evenly on all chicken pieces. Leave to rest for at least half an hour. The more the better.
- Take a sauce pan with 1 glass of water and add the ingredients of the first paste to it( after peeling and roughly chopping onions, garlic and ginger and making a cross at the base of the tomatoes)
- Let it come to a boil, simmer the gas and let it cook on low heat for 10 mins. After which turn off the gas and leave it to cool.
- Remove the skin of the tomatoes and transfer this to a blender and blend till smooth and keep aside.
- Transfer the second paste ingredients into a blender and blend into a very fine buttery paste. (Poppy seeds take long to blend well)
- Now, take a wide and good quality pan with a lid. Put it on the flame and add 2 tbsps oil and 1tbsp of butter.
- Once hot, add the marinated chicken pieces making sure that each chicken piece touches the bottom of the pan. If your pan is not very big, you can fry the chicken in batches.
- Cover and fry on both sides until they get a brown colour.
- Take them out a on a platter and keep them aside.
- In the same pan add the first paste and cover and fry till oil leaves the sides of the pan.
- Then, add the dry masalas and fry for a minute or so. Then add the tomato puree and ketchup and fry.
- Add very little salt and now add the chicken pieces and cover and cook for 5 mins on medium heat.
- Turn the pieces and cook for 5 more minutes. Then ,add the second paste and cover and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid and add 1 tbsp of butter, kasoori methi powder and cream. Turn off the gas.
- Mix everthing together. Let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Serve with carrot and Cashew pulao or soft roti (Indian flatbread), naan or ajwaini kulcha.