This recipe is very easy and goes really well with all types of Indian spicy to very spicy curries because of its subtle yet sweet after taste. At times, I use pistachios instead of cashews and there is not too much change of taste but, the green of pistachios makes the dish look prettier. The balance of sweet from onions, carrots and sugar, sour from lemon juice and mild heat from black pepper is what I like the most.
- 2 cups of Long grain good quality Basmati Rice
- 4 cups of water
- 1 large onion thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp of freshly grated ginger
- 1 large carrot cut into thin strips( ideally should be of same length as the cooked grain of rice)
- 2 tbsps of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 cup of cashews
- 2 level tsps of salt
- 2 level tsps of sugar (This measurement of sugar is ideal for this recipe. It doesn’t make the dish taste sweet but lends a lovely sheen to the rice)
- 1/2 tsp of black pepper powder
- 3 tbsps of ghee
- 1/4 tsp garam masala powder
- 2 star anise, 4 cloves, 4 green cardamoms, 1 big stick of cinnamon, 2 bay leaves, 1/2 tsp of black or white pepper peppercorns.
- Wash the rice very well and soak it in water for 30 mins.
- Take a wok and add 2 tbsps of ghee to it.
- When hot, add all the whole spices and as soon as they begin to splutter, add the sliced onions and fry till the onions attain a light brownish colour.
- Then, add the drained rice and fry very well for a minute or so on medium heat, so that all the grains get coated in oil and spices.
- Add ginger, salt, sugar, pepper powder and fry for a minute.
- Transfer this to a rice cooker.
- Add water and lemon juice and let it cook. If you are cooking in a pressure cooker, after only one whistle turn off the gas.
- Till the rice cooks, take 1 tbsp of oil in the same wok and once hot, add sliced carrots and fry till they acquire a caramely texture. Keep them aside.
- Then fry the cashews in the same wok with the amount of ghee left in the wok.
- Fry them till you get a nice brown colour and a nutty aroma. Keep aside.
- When the rice is cooked, open the lid and add the carrots and the cashews and garam masala powder. Mix gently with a fork.
- Let it rest for a while and serve hot with a hot and spicy curry.
- I make this quite often and after getting lot of compliments, decided to share this with you.