This recipe is liked by all age groups and it is a golden opportunity to sneak healthy veggies in. This is a perfect lazy day’s recipe. You can use onions and garlic to substitute leeks, and fish or soya chunks to substitute chicken. Currently, my family is on a low carb diet and hence my experiment with various ingredients is on the rise.
In this recipe, I used cauliflower mash to make the pie crust. The result was amazing and here goes the recipe.
- 500 gms of cauliflower
- 200 gms of boneless chicken breasts cut into small cubes
- 1 fat leek chopped finely
- 2 cloves of garlic chopped finely
- 2 carrots chopped finely
- 200 gms of button mushrooms chopped into quarters
- 1 green chilli chopped very finely
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 tbsps oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsps of refined flour or arrowroot powder
- 2 tbsps butter
- 1 cup of finely chopped coriander leaves
- 500 ml of water
- Grated parmesan to your requirement.
- Seperate the cauliflower florets and boil them in a pot full of water. Check the florets after 10 mins . If they squish easily its done. If not, allow a few more mins. We are looking for cooked cauliflower and not par-boiled.
- Once done, drain it and keep it aside.
- Now, for the pie filling take oil in a pan and add leeks, garlic and green chillies and sweat them.
- Then, add chicken, carrots, salt and pepper and fry.
- When the chicken turns white in colour add mushrooms, bay leaves, water and cover and cook for 10 mins on medium heat.
- Remove the lid and stir well.
- Make a flour slurry and add to the gravy and stir well on low flame.
- Add chopped coriander, mix well and pour it into a baking dish.
- Take the cooked florets and place it in a food processor or a blender .
- Add melted butter, salt, nutmeg powder and blitz.
- We want a coarse texture and once done, top it to spread it evenly on the pie gravy .
- Sprinkle parmesan as you like . The more the better and if you are heading for a workout the same day, go ahead and make a bed of parmesan.
- I didn’t though, because as I said earlier we are on a diet and want to keep things healthy.
- Pop this in a pre- heated oven at 200 degree celcius for 30 mins.
- To get a golden crust, increase the heat to 220 and let it cook for 10 mins more or until it turns golden brown on top.
- Let it rest for a while before serving. Serve it hot and it is a complete meal in itself.
The best part is this can be set in small pie plates and kept in the freezer. Pop it in the oven whenever you want to and have a home made meal after a busy working day.