I have no words to describe this ultimate evening Bengali snack.It is very light with a wide array of nutrients and is completely subject to your imagination and liking, no wonder the Queen of England loves it too. The only principle you have to strictly adhere to, is to not add anything that makes the rice puffs go soggy. Its not required that you add all the ingredients that I have added. A little here and there is okay.
- 200 gms Puffed Rice
- 1 cup potatoes boiled and cut into small cubes
- 1 cup green peas
- 1/2 cup boiled chana (chick peas)
- 1/4 cup raw mangoes (cut into small cubes)
- 1/2 cup red onions chopped fine
- 1/2 cup roasted papad(poppadums) crushed or any crispies
- 1/2 cup toasted peanuts
- Fresh red or green chillies chopped very fine
- Fresh coconut peeled and chopped and some long strips for garnish
- Coriander leaves washed, dried with a cloth and chopped fine
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp chaat masala powder
- 1 tsp rock salt powder
- 1 tsp roasted cumin powder
- 4 tbsps of mustard oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice.
- Boil the potatoes, remove the skin and cut into small pieces.
- Take 1 tsp oil in a wok and stir fry the potatoes with little salt. Keep it aside.
- Soak the chana(chick peas) for 2 to 3 hrs. Boil and strain and keep it to dry.
- Keep a wok on the burner, add 1 cup of water, a pinch of salt, a drop of oil and add fresh peas. Cover and cook till the water gets absorbed and peas are cooked and dry.
- If you are using frozen peas, saute with little salt and oil and keep aside.
- Keep everything in small individual bowls on a big tray.
- Make sure the puffed rice is nice and crispy. If its not, dry roast in a wok, stirring it continuously till it gets crisp.
- Transfer this to an air- tight container and keep it on the table with the accompaniments.
- To make the final serving, take a large jar with a lid. Add all the ingredients except the puffed rice. Shake very well so that all ingredients blend.
- When everything is ready, add the puffed rice and shake to mix well.
- Serve in long-legged glasses if at home.
- If you have gone for a picnic, make cones out of colourful square papers and serve in them.
- Your colourful, light, non messy and savoury snack is ready.
Here’s Wishing everyone Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year!