This sunshine yellow dish is one of the most favourite in bengali cuisine .
Serves 4 .
- Prawns medium-sized (deshelled and deveined ) – 1/2 kg
- My mustard paste – 4 tbsps
- Coconut milk – 100 ml
- Slit green chillies – 4 to 5
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Red chilli powder – 1/4 tsp
- Onion seed or nigella seeds – 1 tsp
- Mustard oil – 2 tbsps
- Water – 250 ml
- Salt to taste.
- Take oil in a wok and heat it till its smoking hot .
- Turn the flame to low and gently add onoin seeds and red chilli powder .
- Add the prawns as soon as the seeds start to splutter and mix well to coat the prawns in the oil and spices .
- Take a bowl and mix mustard paste , turmeric powder , salt and water .
- As soon as the prawns get coated in the oil add the mustard mix to the wok .Cover and cook for 5 to 8 minutes .Remove the lid and stir .
- Add coconut milk and slit green chillies . Let it cook for 5 minutes on low flame . Your chingdi macher jhaal is ready to serve .This goes really well with plain rice .