A very versatile dish, it can be served as a snack and finger food at parties (with toothpicks) or it can be made with a gravy to accompany simple steamed rice. The combination of sweet, salty and hot makes this dish ideal for parties.
Makes 48 balls
Since the directions for the ingredients are a bit repetitive, I’ll mention the pointers right here
*All vegetables should be finely chopped so that you get the taste and slight crunch but you don’t have to crunch through an entire carrot stick on a toothpick.
*The Garlic, Ginger and Green chillies should be cut extra fine since they need to go in the sauce. No one likes bits of stuff in their sauce.
*Wash the veggies before chopping and just after chopping the veggies start forming the balls
I. For the vegetable balls
- Green Cabbage 125 gms
- Cauliflower 50 gms
- Carrot (medium) 1
- Green Capsicum (medium) 1
- Spring Onion (with the green stalk) 1
- French Beans 10-12
- Salt 1/2 tsp
- Black Pepper Powder 1/2 tsp
- Maida 6-8 tbsps
- Oil to deep fry the Manchurian balls
II. For the sauce
- Salt 1/2 tsp
- Sugar a pinch
- Light Soy Sauce 2 tbsp
- Dark Soy Sauce 1 tbsp
- Rice Vinegar 1 tbsp
- Sweet Chilli Sauce 1 tbsp
- Water as required
- Cornflour 2-3 tbsps
- Combine all the ingredients for the manchurian balls except the Maida in a bowl.
- Add the Maida and knead to form spheres. Before you start this, put a wok with oil to deep fry on low flame
- Fry the balls in not more than 5-6 at a time on medium flame. This will take long, so in the meantime I start on the sauce
- Put another wok on a second burner with a tbsp of oil. Add the sauces and 250 ml of water.
- Let it come to a boil then cover and cook on a low flame for 5-6 minutes. Turn the flame off
- Fry all the manchurian balls and keep it in a vessel
- I usually assemble this dish 10 minutes before serving. Turn the flame on.
- Put the wok with sauce on it and let it come to a boil.
- Make a cornflour slurry with 2-3 tsps of cornflour and 5 tsps of water
- Add the balls to the sauce and let it boil for a minute or two
- Add the cornflour slurry and gently mix everything.
- Let the sauce coat the balls. Turn off the flame and serve it on a platter
One thought on “Vegetable Manchurian”
LikeLiked by 1 person